Where am I?

Where am I?
The view from here

Doorway

Doorway
Where is it? Is it in your neighborhood?

Gino

Gino
Corner of Haight and Octavia

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Who Runs Mid-Market?

Mid-Market has been the most difficult area of my neighborhood to cover. It hasn't been a lack of stories, there's plenty. It hasn't been hard to talk to people, those there (the homeless) talk to you. It's a lack of professional voices: landlords, developers, shop owners, etc. The place is both commercially and residentially barren.

Yet there's bizarre, interesting communities forming inside several of the closed buildings. Arbor Studios, for example, is an old theater prop rental shop. The props are still there, but now a community of artists as well have set up their many studios.

However, all the artists are extremely hard to reach-or even see-having strange hours and life-styles. I've been having to do some stake-outs, which feel cool, but haven't been successful. If I can't get my foot in the door by Monday, I think I'll have to switch profiles.

2 comments:

  1. I sympathize. That sounds a lot like South Beach. I don't know if this is an option for you, but when I had trouble talking to landlords and residents, I went to some open houses for condos and apartments and talked to come of the realtors about the neighborhood. It worked not great, but I got some decent info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain. I felt the same despair when my original story idea didn't pan out, but I went back to my neighborhood and found other story ideas. So I would recommend you do the same, I mean it's like you said there are tons of story ideas. It sucks right now, but believe me you will have your story.

    ReplyDelete

San Francisco

San Francisco
Our city is rich in heritage