Where am I?

Where am I?
The view from here

Doorway

Doorway
Where is it? Is it in your neighborhood?

Gino

Gino
Corner of Haight and Octavia

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

South Beach in the Rain

I know the rain hinders all foot traffic. But I swear, my neighborhood is like a ghost town in the rain. There is no one out or in restaurants or in the parks. South Beach is not easily accessible to Muni or Bart, and therefore foot traffic is pretty much the only means of travel. It's great on sunny days, people out, willing to talk. Rain=zilch. It's like two different places.

Restaurant owner Chinnmaye has said that her business hasn't declined so much because of the rain, but that's because people like Indian food when it's chilly (I think her location of San Francisco is ideal for that reason). Visit her restaurant, it's called Ruchi on 3rd and Bryant. The Chicken Chettinadu and Green Pullakora are amazing. Or you can get a Dosa for $8.

On a side note, a lot of my investigating has been towards the yachting community of South Beach, specifically the Golden Gate Yacht Club and South Beach Yacht Club. I was surprised and happy to hear that they collaborating to raise money for Japanese tsunami survivors by donating all of their proceeds from their next youth sailing lessons.

3 comments:

  1. I think your story idea sounds great and I would love to read it after the final draft has been turned in. By the way I've never had Indian food, what do they usually put in it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last observation -- $ for the Japanese -- sounds like a good story! Good for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PRODUCT PLACEMENT!
    Just kidding! I like this post.
    This is kind of eerie, but I'm a sucker for the term "ghost town." Just reminds me of the old west.

    ReplyDelete

San Francisco

San Francisco
Our city is rich in heritage