Where am I?

Where am I?
The view from here

Doorway

Doorway
Where is it? Is it in your neighborhood?

Gino

Gino
Corner of Haight and Octavia

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Another night in North Beach.

Monday night I decided to meet some newly-made friends in North Beach's Cafe Grecos. Every Monday night, there is an open mic event held from around 7-9 p.m. (depending on how many people perform).

I met up with my new friend Mitiku, who is from Ethiopia, and I saw my poet friend, Ricardo Luna. I got there kind of late and only saw the last two people perform. I talked afterward with the poet/host, Philip Hackett, who told us stories of when he used to hang out with Charles Bukowski.

It was a pretty good night, but I was quite tried from having class all day, so I kept it short.

I decided to talk to Central Station's Police Sargent Carl T., who was very helpful and told me about crime in North Beach and Fisherman's Wharf.  He told me that Fisherman's Wharf mainly has robbery crimes, as in pickpocketing. In North Beach, there are not too many noticeable crimes, although he did advise me to look into the clubs on the weekends.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like someone has a few story ideas in her hands. By the way who is Charles Bukowski?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I do! He is a pretty well-known poet/writer. I used to read his stuff a lot back in high school. My favorite poem of his is this one:

    the area dividing the brain and the soul
    is affected in many ways by
    experience –
    some lose all mind and become soul:
    insane.
    some lose all soul and become mind:
    intellectual.
    some lose both and become:
    accepted.

    Lifedance
    Charles Bukowski

    ReplyDelete

San Francisco

San Francisco
Our city is rich in heritage