Where am I?

Where am I?
The view from here

Doorway

Doorway
Where is it? Is it in your neighborhood?

Gino

Gino
Corner of Haight and Octavia

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Profile... this is hard.

Last week I was trying to get my profile story subject all set so I would have no trouble this week doing it. I was really banking on Janice Mirikitani, a Poet Laureate and a founder of many services at Glide Memorial, to give me some time for an interview. However, her schedule was busy...busier than I had originally anticipated. She seemed very open  and willing to do it when I met her and her assistants. But it didn't go through. 

On top of that the Guardian Angels have moved from patrolling the Tenderloin to patrolling the Mission due to the increased gang violence. This is a bummer because they were going to be one of my mine sources in my story. However, I am hoping I will still be able to get some quotes from people who have been on the corner of Turk and Taylor. 

So I have begun to observe the corner of Turk and Taylor. But to top this off it has been raining so the activity on the corner is less than it usually is. Interestingly enough however there are still drug transactions going on. 

This profile story is by far the hardest I've had to do ever. It is not only very involved, but it will be difficult to get people to talk about the action on the corner. From the people I've talked to already some of the business owners on the corner may be in cahoots with drug dealers. They protect each others business. The owners don't report the drug dealers because it attracts more traffic to their businesses and the dealers protect the businesses from troublemakers because they want to prevent the police from coming to the corner. 

It is an interesting dynamic but one that will be dificult to uncover. Any suggestions may be much appreciated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

San Francisco

San Francisco
Our city is rich in heritage