Where am I?

Where am I?
The view from here

Doorway

Doorway
Where is it? Is it in your neighborhood?

Gino

Gino
Corner of Haight and Octavia

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Dear students,
I posted this to one of our class members but it is advice I wish I'd shared with you earlier. It's a little trick I learned when interviewing a convicted murderer right after his release, illegal dumpers who were being prosecuted because of my reporting, and other situations I got myself in. Here's what I wrote Vanessa, but it applies to many situations:
Let me say this to everyone by posting it separately on our class blog:
If you are ever concerned about being somewhere, such as in a stranger's house or apartment, or a neighborhood cafe, the trick is to say, as soon as you arrive, Oh, I'm expecting a call. I gave your address to my friend (mother/boyfriend/roommate/teacher/editor) so they could catch up with me later. Sometimes, I make the call right in front of someone I'm talking to when I first arrive and addressing the person I'm calling rather formerly, even if it's someone I know well. This little move also makes you look professional, especially if you use words like professor or editor. If you feel awkward about using the word editor with your mother or boyfriend, just ask the person to edit your story when you're done, making him or her your editor~!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

San Francisco

San Francisco
Our city is rich in heritage