Where am I?

Where am I?
The view from here

Doorway

Doorway
Where is it? Is it in your neighborhood?

Gino

Gino
Corner of Haight and Octavia

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Deadlines

They're impractical for me at this stage in my academic career, to be honest. I've got a lot of forces pulling on m from a lot of sides (it's mainly a spanish vs. journalism war right now) and it's quite the time-consuming battle. Trust me, the concept of a GWAR class is at least ten times worse when you're taking two of them.

That being said, I was on it yesterday, as in on the ball. I was the best reporter I've ever been (in the ridiculously limited amount of time I had). I talked to everyone. I was walking around, talking to people on the street and working in stores and following any leads they can give me all in pursuit of information and opinions about Ted Loewenberg.

I don't know if it's the grand design or whatever messing with me, but I've never been less successful. It's highly disappointing to have basically gotten over (FINALLY) my fear of talking to people I don't know and be completely unsuccessful.

Yes, completely unsuccessful. No one had any idea what I was talking about. I name-dropped the organization as its full name and as an acronym. Nothing. I name-dropped Ted Loewenerg. Nothing. I gave some events and projects they'd been involved in. This almost got recognition, but still nobody had anything to say. I was mainly met with blank stares and shaking heads with responses of "I don't know what you're talking about."

Cue frustration. (But props to me for finally growing as a reporter because it didn't - for once - spell defeat.)

I'm determined. Finally. I think it's the politics that interests me. I want to know more, and now I definitely want to know why as an organization slowly making waves of change in the Upper Haight they get no recognition.

That's not to say I agree or disagree with HAIA. I mean that I can't believe that these people live and work there and the only times I got any sort of recognition, I was referred to a busy or absent manager or owner.

I want to know what this says for the organization, for the neighborhood, for the people, and for the change.

Now it's only a matter of finding the time to do it.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you've gotten out of your shell to talk to different people. But if you feel the story is kind of a lost cause, I would say try to find a place or person that's been around the neighborhood a long time. But otherwise don't give up, just don't wait until it's too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassie, your observation is really interesting. Here's this guy who wants to change a neighborhood from its traditional or long-standing reputation, and the people who might be most effected don't know about it. And they don't know about the merchants' group? I'd ask L. about that. Good luck with this and don't give up. I'm proud of you for persevering.

    ReplyDelete

San Francisco

San Francisco
Our city is rich in heritage