Where am I?

Where am I?
The view from here

Doorway

Doorway
Where is it? Is it in your neighborhood?

Gino

Gino
Corner of Haight and Octavia

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Fred the firefighter

So, this was my first time really walking down Ocean Avenue. And although I'm pretty sure it's not the one from the popular punk pop song by Yellowcard, it was still an experience.

The air was crisp. Rain had fallen two days in a row now and people were poking their heads out to take a peek around, reminiscent of a famous rodent on Groundhog Day. I was coming up to the intersection of Plymouth and Ocean, somewhat struck by the finery of the vacant lot to my left. And thats when it hit me. Well, he hit me. It was Fred.

Fred was a gentleman I'd run into before (no pun intended) walking the neighborhood, but not someone I'd ever really had the chance to get to know as well as I'd like. Stumbling to pick up his books (he often carries enough to look a though he's just knocked over a Barnes and Noble) Fred gave me his best grin. The remaining two teeth in Fred's mouth stood out a bit, but something about his smile made me believe it was something he shared with a few select people.

I asked Fred if he'd eaten yet today and he told me he hadn't, so we went over to the nearby cafe and grabbed a coffee and some breakfast. He spoke of his books, his friends passed on, and his former life as a volunteer firefighter in southern Indiana. I wasn't after a story with Fred. Nor am I particularly interested in developing him as a source...but I did learn a lot from this man.

The main thing that stuck with me after our two hours together was this: "If you're going to love anyone in your life, make sure you spend time every day you have them in your life, letting them know exactly that. Make sure you love them more each day you have them. Thats the secret to staying young."

Not sure how valid the rantings of a 63 year old homeless gentleman are, but there was wisdom behind that toothless grin. I chuckled when he told me about his wife.

"Marrying her was the smartest thing I ever did. Dumbest thing she ever did, but man am I thankful she did it. And did she do it well..."

I hope I run into you again Fred. Perhaps we can share another breakfast, but please don't use all the creamer next time...
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

1 comment:

  1. We're blessed by the Freds in our life ... sort of puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete

San Francisco

San Francisco
Our city is rich in heritage