Where am I?

Where am I?
The view from here

Doorway

Doorway
Where is it? Is it in your neighborhood?

Gino

Gino
Corner of Haight and Octavia

Monday, March 21, 2011

Mother and Daughter Outing (Blog 7)

This time at the Castro, I was invited to attend a drag show by one of my sources, John, who was one of the main drag performers at the show. The show was held at the Harvey Milk Academy at 8 p.m. (Adults only). When I told my mother about the event her eyes looked as though they were going to pop out of her head like of those screwball cartoons from the 50s. My mother snatched my keys from my finger tips and said I wasn’t going anywhere without her because she wanted to make sure I was safe.

I argued with her for a good 30 minutes before giving in when she said, “36 hours of labor and now you are going to make me sick with worry” (all in Spanish). Never underestimate the powers of good old fashioned Catholic guilt, especially from a hostile Hispanic mother.

When we finally got to the Castro I noticed my mother eyeing the cookie shop next to Twin Peaks, Hot Cookie. She offered to buy me a cookie, but I politely declined. She didn’t exactly take no for an answer and practically dragged me across the street from Harvey Milk Plaza. When we went inside the shop I prayed she wouldn’t notice some of their homoerotic pictures on their walls, which of course she did. Her lips pursed with disgust, but thankfully didn’t say a word. Mom bought me a peanut butter cookie (my favorite) as big as my head they because apparently she felt I was getting too thin (first I’m too fat, now I’m too thin).

As we walked passed Badlands on 18th Street two incredibly drunk blond men scuffled out of the bar’s doors. They embraced one another, kissing passionately against a wall. My mother immediately covered my eyes as if I were still six years old, then quickly left 18th Street. Mom ranted on and on about the “inappropriate behavior” between the two men, while walking by the recreation center.

I sighed when I saw John in front of the school. He guided us to the school’s auditorium, where the performance took place. John told us the performance is actually a fundraiser for the school’s tutoring program. He pointed out a huge plastic container next to the refreshment table and said we can place our donations inside of it. John’s eyes lit up when he saw mom slip $20.00 in the container, without hesitation.

The drag show had an old Hollywood theme with all the drag performers reenacting musical numbers from movies such as The Wizard of Oz, The Sound of Music, and Yentl. The show also included comedic skits from one of the heterosexual parents. I smiled when I noticed my mother clapping and singing along to most of the songs being performed (why didn’t I bring my camera?). Needless to say the night wasn’t completely terrible my mother for once got to enjoy herself without worrying about paying bills or cleaning the house. Although mom isn’t the most open-minded woman in the Bay Area, she’s not a hateful intolerant person. She just wasn’t used to seeing gays, lesbians, and transsexuals as a group.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/hot-cookie-san-francisco

http://harveymilk.com/

2 comments:

  1. That was hysterical. I read it aloud to my husband. It was really, really funny. So well written. I loved your honest and that you obviously love your mother and she loves you. I was holding my breath when you went into Hot Cookie that none of those young hotties weren't running around in their hot cookie briefest of briefs. Has she heard about the naked men? Do you live at home? I'm so proud of your hard work in this course! Think she'll let you go out again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She knows about the naked men and everything else about the Castro and she doesn't like it. But she understands it's part of the job. And yes I still live at home.

    ReplyDelete

San Francisco

San Francisco
Our city is rich in heritage