Where am I?

Where am I?
The view from here

Doorway

Doorway
Where is it? Is it in your neighborhood?

Gino

Gino
Corner of Haight and Octavia

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sunny at the Castro (blog5)

It was a nice sunny day at the Castro, a nice change from all that rain we’ve been getting. I was able to wear my Blink-182 sweater, which I hardly wore anymore because of the damp and cold weather we’ve been getting. It was also nice not stepping on deep puddles or worry about slipping on the stairs at the Harvey Milk Plaza.

Walking on Market Street I felt my stomach grumble due to the fact I didn’t have breakfast this morning. Unfortunately, it was too late for breakfast so most of the cafes are probably either serving lunch or brunch. Looking for a place to eat I found myself once again in front Café Flore. I stood there for a few minutes debating whether or not I should eat here. I rejected this restaurant before because I thought it was too expensive and never considered the fact that their food might actually be tasty.

To my dismay my stomach completely took over and ended up walking toward the restaurant’s entrance. I stood in front of the cash register and asked one of the servers for their brunch menu. As I looked over the menu one dish stood out like a sore thumb, the Kalua Pork Hash. The dish was comprised of two eggs any style, slow-cooked ti-leaf kalua pork, parmesan, pico de gallo, shallots, garlic fried potatoes, and toast. As strange as the name and the ingredients of the dish appeared I didn’t want to dismiss it right away without trying it. I handed the menu back to one of the workers and ordered the Kalua Pork Hash, which was $10.50 plus tax. I decided to eat my meal on one of their out door tables, since it was such a nice day. The Kalua Pork turned out to be worth every penny I spent, it was surprisingly delicious and I may consider coming back there again.

After I finished my meal I asked one of the workers which store is one of the most popular shops amongst the Castro residents. He recommended I go to Cliff’s Variety, which is a general store on the same street as the Castro Theater. During my previous visits in the Castro I have seen Cliff’s Variety, but have never explored the items they had. People have told me it’s a great place to get knick-knacks such as lanyards, cookie cutters, and holiday items. Curiosity once again getting the better of me I walked back to Castro Street. I was intrigued with what I found; the store had a wide range of items from home improvement to games and toys. I was more impressed with their arts and crafts section, especially since I can actually afford them.

Today wasn’t terribly exciting, but at least it didn’t rain on me this time.

http://www.cliffsvariety.com/

http://cafeflore.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment

San Francisco

San Francisco
Our city is rich in heritage