Where am I?

Where am I?
The view from here

Doorway

Doorway
Where is it? Is it in your neighborhood?

Gino

Gino
Corner of Haight and Octavia

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

How to Write a Meeting Story on a Meeting you Don't Understand

The assignment to write a story about on a meeting sounded simple enough. Although I found it hard to find a meeting in my neighborhood...bummer. Then I found a meeting that I could do for the assignment.

The Board of Supervisor's Budget and Finance meeting was last Wednesday and I would be covering it with a few of my class mates. Doesn't this meeting sound like fun? Yeah right, maybe if you lived for political jargon and feeling completely lost when the item numbers come up. Yep that was my situation but as a journalist there are things that you will have to report on and you'll have to do your best to get the interviews and understand what reserve funds and add-backs are.

Overall the meeting was only an hour, thank goodness. Luckily I had a partner in crime when it came to writing this story; his name is Nick Moone. Nick knew ever item number, all the jargon and what add-ons meant. This blew my mind. He tried to walk me through everything and although still confused we managed to do everything we could to get this story out.

With a few corrections from Professor Daley we realized the legal jargon was confusing the reader. We set up a game plan in class and will begin to rewrite the paper on Thursday. Yay for rewrites and Nick's background in student government. Lets see how round two will go when we write this paper.

3 comments:

  1. It's legal and bureaucrat jargon. It took me a few tries just to get through a draft of your guys' article. But I really liked it! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also really struggling on how to decipher what information to include, and how far to break it down. but your meeting looked way more complicated than mine.

    ReplyDelete

San Francisco

San Francisco
Our city is rich in heritage