Where am I?

Where am I?
The view from here

Doorway

Doorway
Where is it? Is it in your neighborhood?

Gino

Gino
Corner of Haight and Octavia

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Profile subject

Working on this profile story has really developed my journalist skills, especially interviewing.  My subject is very good at holding a conversation, which makes it easy for my to ease into the actual interview.  Every time I am going to speak or meet up with him, I find myself worrying about what to say and what to ask him.  But after our hello's and how-have-you-been's, the conversation starts rolling.

The hardest part is when to stop him and ask him to elaborate on something, especially when it is something sensitive.  I don't want to stop him midway while he is choking up about his past, so I let him continue.  But then he continues on and mentions something else, and now I have two things I want him to elaborate on.  I note the two subjects, but then I need to find a natural way to bring them up.  Then when I do ask him a new question or bring up another subject, it's hard to keep my subject from not going on a tangent.  Like I said, he can easily keep on talking about pretty much anything.

My subject is all about maintaining an image and keeping his guard up.  So I was surprised how much more he let himself go on this past interview, the first over the phone.  (Prior to this we had only met in person.)  I feel that he spoke a lot more freely and showed more emotion, in contrast to his usual casual and stern talk.

This phone interview was the first time he brought up confidentiality, perhaps because of the depth of the conversation.  He is unsure that he wants his real name used or if he would rather me not write about some of the things.  We still haven't agreed upon anything.  Any suggestions?

I still need to follow up with him on the interview.  This time I am going to have specific questions instead of just subjects.  I also need more sources.  I sort of feel like I am snooping around trying to find people who know him and ask them what they know about him.  Can't I just ask him who knows him that is willing to talk to me?

All in all, it's an interesting story.

2 comments:

  1. I would say you should ask him if there's anyone you can talk to about him. As for the whole confidentiality thing you have to use his real name and maybe leave a couple things out that don't seem that relevant to the story. He never said 'off the record' so whatever he told you is fair game, but I'm not sure you might want to talk to the professor about that last bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's talk about this in class today!

    ReplyDelete

San Francisco

San Francisco
Our city is rich in heritage