Where am I?

Where am I?
The view from here

Doorway

Doorway
Where is it? Is it in your neighborhood?

Gino

Gino
Corner of Haight and Octavia

Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Tsunami

Just a commentary. I am not a fan of fear mongering.

I have friends in Spain terrified that their friends and family in the bay area are going to be hit by a natural disaster. I acknowledge the obligation journalists have to address the tsunami, but the proper research needs to be done to make sure that no misconceptions are spread.

It reminds me of the swine flu "pandemic."

This is not really about the Mission. I guess this is about San Francisco as a whole. In my Digital News Gathering class, we were told to compile information about the possibility of a tsunami hitting San Fran, and to research how the city would respond to such a warning.

I'm still deciding if it was overkill.

3 comments:

  1. I would have to agree with you, the whole Tsunami thing did remind me of the whole swine flu thing. Too many people were freaking out over nothing with out knowing the facts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I freaked out just because I live right next to Ocean Beach, then I felt silly for doing so. I just read Yumi's reaction to the tsunami as well: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/wilson/index. Crazy media blows things up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's awesome that she wrote that!
    Thanks for sharing.

    Instead of making the news about US, I feel like the media should focus on the devastation where it matters; like the people with family in Japan. I've seen some really moving pieces.

    I guess it can be really hard to decide what to write about when these things happen.

    ReplyDelete

San Francisco

San Francisco
Our city is rich in heritage