Where am I?

Where am I?
The view from here

Doorway

Doorway
Where is it? Is it in your neighborhood?

Gino

Gino
Corner of Haight and Octavia

Monday, March 14, 2011

A Friend Witnessing the Disaster in Japan

Due to my grandmother getting out of the hospital after her knee surgery on Sunday, I was unable to actually go to Japantown and interview people about their families back home. [I was at her house literally ALL weekend taking care of her].

Late Saturday night, I get a text message from a friend of mine who is studying in Tokyo. "OMG, Leigh... EARTHQUAKE! OMG...." Not knowing who the person was due to an international phone number difference, or whatever, I asked, "Um... who is this?"... Then I put two and two together and texted back "OMG MISSY! ARE YOU OKAY?!"

She texted me hours later saying she was fine and needed sleep. The 8.9 earthquake startled her. She said that she has never experienced such an earthquake in her life. (She doesn't remember the Loma Prieta earthquake). She also said that she can't stand to watch the news because of the tsunami.

According to Missy, more than 1800 people have been identified at dead.

"I keep watching my phone, seeing who will respond to texts or return calls. So far I have heard from all my friends except for three. I'm hoping they're okay," Missy said.

----

Now, since she is one of my best and oldest friends, I am just glad she is okay. I got NO sleep. I plan on writing an article for [X] Press and for my Journalism 226 (Digital News Gathering) class, since we did some work for the Japan tsunami.

I'll post what Elissa and I did for that class.


4 comments:

  1. I'm glad your friend is hanging in there. The power plant stuff and the aftershocks are so scary!! Is she at home or did she have to evacuate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear your friend is doing fine, it must have been overwhelming for her. By the way how did you embed the video on the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The video turned out really well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elissa, she was here for a couple days, but since I've been so sick I had no time to get coffee and catch up and ask her questions about it. She goes back in a day or two for school. She doesn't know if she really wants to or not.

    Thanks, Lisa!

    I just uploaded it from my hard drive. Blogger did the rest for me.

    ReplyDelete

San Francisco

San Francisco
Our city is rich in heritage