Where am I?

Where am I?
The view from here

Doorway

Doorway
Where is it? Is it in your neighborhood?

Gino

Gino
Corner of Haight and Octavia

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Big 21, Big Plus in South Beach

Although being sick on my 21st birthday was a disappointment, I now have a serious upper hand in my neighborhood.

The scene of South Beach by day is oh so different than the scene of South Beach by night. I have finally found the resident of this area...at the bars!
The DNA Lounge on 11th Street is full of an eclectic group of South Beach residents. Even better, most of these patrons are not the typical middle class working suits, but rather the new upcoming trendy crowd filtering in to South Beach.

I found these last few trips that people are easier to talk to in a social setting...especially a few drinks in. I talked to a few residents who merely wanted to joke around, yet a few complied to my questions and talked to me about neighborhood concerns. One such fellow, Brad Jordan, talked to me about his concerns regarding parking and a nearby school for his daughter, who is now two. I wondered why a funky father and his family moved to South Beach of all the San Francisco neighborhoods. Then Jordan told me he's a sailor...which makes perfect sense. South Beach is crawling with sailors.

I'm finally finding it easier to determine which people to talk to, or rather, which people will talk to me. Some tips...avoid groups, closed off people with their friends are less likely to make room for you at their table. Talk to couples, especially those 35+. When you talk to couples, no one gets intimidated and your more likely to get a well-rounded answer. Avoid very drunk people. Look for people in suits as this might mean they live or work in the area. Avoid specific parties, celebrating people do not want to talk community problems.

Other bars include 83 Proof, Gordon Biersch Brewery, and the Grove (my favorite).

Still looking for more tips and more ways to meet residents. If my only chance is going to the bar, I will be a very broke woman in a very short time.

2 comments:

  1. Kealan -- and after a few drinks, who can remember what anyone said? Are these my notes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like turning 21 is finally going to give all of us a HUGE leg up. :)

    ReplyDelete

San Francisco

San Francisco
Our city is rich in heritage