Where am I?

Where am I?
The view from here

Doorway

Doorway
Where is it? Is it in your neighborhood?

Gino

Gino
Corner of Haight and Octavia

Monday, April 11, 2011

More Story ideas (blog9)

Today at the Castro, I decided to use Saturday to find a story idea for the crime assignment. I had received a phone call from Denis O’Leary, the police chief from Park Station, Thursday about a story idea. He said I could write a story about a robbery that occurred around Henry Street and had sources I could talk to. As excited as I got for Denis’s suggestion I had to see if there was more out there, just in case something better comes along.

When I walked past Cliff’s Variety I heard the song “Alejandro” by Lady Gaga playing at the very end of the street. I followed the song to see if there was an event going on in one of the stores. I stopped when I noticed a group of people encircled in front of a building called the Country Club, which is a drug/alcohol rehabilitation center in my neighborhood. As I got a little closer I saw a small thin girl was dancing to the Lady Gaga song.



When she took off her purple blouse I wasn’t at all shocked to see it was actually guy dressed in women’s clothes (it is the Castro after all). He was a very good dancer and kept the audience attention the whole time he was performing. I also saw that the people who volunteer at the rehabilitation center had a desert stand on the side walk. They were selling cakes for $0.50 per slice and big soft cookies for $0.25. Like the little pig that I am, I bought five peanut butter cookies (they were so good).

One of the volunteers told me they were celebrating the Country Club's 28th anniversary. He also told me they were raising funds to buy the building that they had to rent for the rehabilitation center, which became available after the owner died. The volunteer gave me the Country Club’s contact information in case I needed story ideas for my final paper.

After the event ended I stopped in front of a dog store, “Best in Show", to see if one of the managers, Daniel, can give me more ideas for my crime story. Daniel told me the Castro has been a safe neighborhood for 30 years. The most that goes on in the neighborhood is the occasional break-ins, noise complaints, and maybe a few assaults. Visiting other shop and restaurants around the neighborhood, most of the owners have told me the same thing. I’ve spent nearly four hours walking around the Castro and to be honest I don’t think I ever walked this much for an assignment. Although today wasn’t a complete success I still have a crime story idea, but I hope I’ll find other possibilities for my final paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment

San Francisco

San Francisco
Our city is rich in heritage