Where am I?

Where am I?
The view from here

Doorway

Doorway
Where is it? Is it in your neighborhood?

Gino

Gino
Corner of Haight and Octavia

Monday, April 18, 2011

Big Picture on South Beach

I'm struggling to connect dots for my final paper.

I have done the majority of work on this America's Cup coming to South Beach next year and I did my Profile on the effects this event will have on one particular restaurant.

So. I was thinking of doing my final paper on the overall effect of this event on South Beach, specifically the residents who I have neglected to really bring in to many of my stories (due to the fact they are so unattainable- out of all my sources only a handful are residents.)
The real angle is the fact that this event will be happening during baseball season. The number of fans that rush to the area seeking AT&T Park is already overwhelming, and I seriously wonder how South Beach (and overall, the city) expect to accommodate such a large number of people. (As I have mentioned in a story there is an expected 2 million people to come from outside San Francisco to view the America's Cup.

Other ideas. I'm wondering if I should branch out. Although South Beach is a little slow, I know there are other compelling stories out there other than the America's Cup. I have encountered a number of growing business, mostly restaurants, who have specifically moved to South Beach to achieve a certain clientele and atmosphere. In addition the mayor has recently worked with Supervisor Jane Kim of South Beach to persuade corporations such as Twitter and Microsoft to move and stay in South Beach. I think there is a story here. Something like the future of South Beach.

Thoughts are appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. Kelan I think you've hit a goldmine in story ideas. I'm sure which ever you choose will turn out great. You might hit a couple road blocks, so start planning ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely, I mean I have already started talking to people for both ideas I just have yet to decide, congrats again on your internship

    ReplyDelete

San Francisco

San Francisco
Our city is rich in heritage