Where am I?

Where am I?
The view from here

Doorway

Doorway
Where is it? Is it in your neighborhood?

Gino

Gino
Corner of Haight and Octavia

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Crime. Crime! Crime?

So here's the thing about the Haight: crime highly subjective.

The crime map we're supposed to do is going to be full of the most notorious crimes the neighborhood has to offer: noise violations and public intoxication.

Man, I stumbled upon the most exciting topic my neighborhood has to offer. Obviously.

My current favorite part of this whole thing is that I've planned on doing Sit/Lie this whole time, and it would be great if this was included on the city crime map, but apparently since its instigation in February to San Francisco, Sit/Lie doesn't count as a crime worthy of being plotted on the map.

This means that my assignment is automatically slightly harder than I thought. I'll have to go to Park Station and weasel my way into getting legitimate information about a crime that may or may not actually count as a real crime. Even better: I'm going to get to find people who have gotten busted for this (i.e. homeless people who are ridiculously difficult to find if you don't already know who they are) so I can talk to them about the law.

Why I chose the newbie crime and law to report on is beyond me at this point. Well, that's a lie: I understand it's highly relevant, and important, and it's crucial to my understanding of the neighborhood.

The reporter in me is just snapping at the chance to get out and figure out how much people hate this law, but the other part of me already basically knows the answer.

And when you legitimately know the answer to the biggest question of your story, where's the mystery in the reporting?

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, I think a little mystery kinda adds to the level of excitement in journalism. By the way, have you talked to the city attorney and the police chief??? They might be good sources.

    ReplyDelete

San Francisco

San Francisco
Our city is rich in heritage