Where am I?

Where am I?
The view from here

Doorway

Doorway
Where is it? Is it in your neighborhood?

Gino

Gino
Corner of Haight and Octavia

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

My Yachting Experience

I'm sure you all know by now I have been working on this story about the America's Cup coming to SF and South Beach next year. Yesterday after class I went and met with my buddy Leon who is a part of the South Beach Yacht Club. He took me out on his boat and I got to meet his wife and daughter. It was a great experience. Leon joked that his boat certainly wasn't the nicest but having never been on one so big I was pretty stoked. I learned a lot about the functioning of the boat (named "Rosely" after his sister) and about the rules of the race from Leon (even his daughter could work her way around the boat). They took me under the Bay Bridge near Alcatraz. The view of the city from the water was really beautiful and we sailed back into the bay just at dusk.

It was great day to go out, and I was really appreciative. I just wanted to take this opportunity to point out what amazing people we can meet with this whole journalism thing. I'm thankful to have met this warm and inviting family.

2 comments:

  1. I think that's awesome. My parents own a speed boat, but I've never been on a yacht or anything bigger then a speed boat for that matter, so that's definitely on my 'to-do' list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often think that, Kealan, that journalism is a profession where everyday is different, where you meet interesting people, some nice, some scary and awful. You see and learn about some horrible things but if you balance the hard with the soft, it's a good profession.

    ReplyDelete

San Francisco

San Francisco
Our city is rich in heritage